Saturday, 25 April 2015

Magic Instant "Cheese," Toastie




Store-bought vegan cheese substitutes can be awful. And they can be great, apparently. I don't know, I rarely ever buy them. Home-make cheese substitutes are rarely awful. They're often great, I occasionally make them. 

However, the vast majority of the time I just can't be bothered. Making them involves remembering to soak the cashews the night before and food processors and cooking and cleaning and most worryingly of all, effort. So this leads us onto 

Problem 1: The lack of effortless, INSTANT melty vegan cheese. 

I've solved this problem for anyone who owns a toastie maker/panini press, along with a problem also frequently encountered by said toastie maker/panini press owners:

Problem 2: The inability to make a toastie without the filling going everywhere. 

This is really more of a simple technique than a recipe, so I've added photos to show you what to do, though the recipe I've included is delicious, and very customizable to your tastes! 

First, get yourself a messy worktop and a red kettle like this.


Place your tortilla in the toastie machine as shown. Spread and stack the fillings on the innermost triangles. Then fold it in half and fold the excess neatly up at the sides. Like this:


Slam the lid shut and leave it as long as you can possibly stand to wait. I'd recommend at least 5-10 minutes for a really cheese-like, properly cooked oozy goozy toastie.


Chop off that dodgy awkward unfolded bit of excess tortilla on the left. Saw that toastie in half, put it on a plate with a couple of tomatoes and try to make it look pretty.


Give up and eat it.



Magic Instant "Cheese," Toastie

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 10 mins
Ingredients
  • 1 wholemeal tortilla wrap
  • 1-2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
  • 1/2 tomato, diced
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • Ground black pepper
  • Salt, if your PB is unsalted
  • Optional: Add-ins of choice, e.g spinach. 
Instructions
1. Place the tortilla wrap into the toastie machine and spread the peanut butter evenly in the shape of the two innermost triangles.
2. Stack with tomatoes, yeast, spices and pepper.
3. Fold tortilla over, and fold edges up. Turn on and close toastie machine. Cook for 7-10 minutes.
4. Saw in half and enjoy with salad and mustard:D
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. OMG I love this. I can't eat the store bought stuff, it's much too processed for my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, my stomach can digest anything so that's not an issue for me luckily - but I know what you mean about the processed-ness of it anyway. I prefer to know what I'm eating actually is!

      Delete
  2. This looks so cool! I need to get myself a toastie machine - instant childhood memories right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah its an absolute lifesaver if you're doing the rushed student life thing, and does taste surprisingly a lot like cheese xP

      Delete