Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Birthday Time!

So it was my birthday yesterday, and I've had a rather fabulous pre-birthday weekend with the mum and sis in Edinburgh before coming back down to celebrate my actual birthday down here. Apologies for yet more shoddy photography - we just wanted to nosedive into this thing.


After dithering over a few options, as usual, chocolate won out, and we made this: a new version of an older recipe on the blog, my Chocolate Banana-Beetroot Cake. As I'd said I would on the original post, this time around I changed it up a bit to see if I could bring out the banana/beetroot flavours more. This version is sweeter, denser, richer, and much more "fruity" tasting - it has a really chewy, squodgy texture that makes it fantastic to eat warm with vanilla ice-cream! (As we did, not pictured.)

I personally much prefer this version to the original, probably because its not that traditionally cake-like at all, and I'm really not that much of a traditional cake person. Its almost more like one of those malt loaf squishy things, but more indulgent and dessert-worthy... Go for it if, like me, you tend to prefer your cakes very dense and flavoursome as opposed to light and airy:)

And don't ask about the lingering Christmas candles in the background, my family are mad. 


Chocolate (Beetroot-Banana) Cake V 2

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 1 hr
Ingredients (1 loaf)
  • 1/2 cup flour (I used spelt)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 med beet
  • 1 large banana
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used sweetened soya)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp vinegar
  • 1/4 cup golden sultanas
  • 50g (1/4 cup, roughly) Choc chips
Instructions
1. Combine dry ingredients (first 6) in a large bowl and mix very well.
2. Slice beets and bananas and add to blender along with wet ingredients. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour wet into dry and whisk until smooth.
4. Stir in sultanas and chocolate and pour into greasted baking dish of choice.
5. Bake in oven pre-heated to 180C. Mine took about 1hr 10 minutes to cook right the way through - be patient with it. As usual, its done when a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Let cool for at least half an hour before trying to remove.

Notes:

For the icing, I used this frosting by CCK - great for using up leftover coconut milk and takes all of about five seconds to make. I'm not ashamed to say I ate all of the leftover icing straight-up. On the same day:D
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday!!! YUMMMMY CAKE. Yay February birthdays. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! I love having a February birthday - it's just far away enough from Christmas that it doesn't get ignoredxP

    ReplyDelete