Friday, 5 September 2014

Marzipan Ice-Cream with Raw Brownie Bites



Time for a much-needed update. This past month has been insane! Having spent it working for the Underbelly venue, the Edinburgh Fringe has rushed past in a mad purple blur. Working 6 days a week, seeing shows literally whenever I wasn't working, and multiple nights partying like a loony left me spending all the money I earned  more time in the town centre than I did in my own house. I met many wonderful people, saw more mind-boggling (and ridiculous) acts than I could count, fell out with my liver, and by the end of it had completely lost all sense of time and place. It's been an unforgettable experience.


Needless to say, I was so rushed off my feet that I barely had any time to eat, forget cook. Now just into September, we're still having the odd sunny day up here in Scotland, so I'm choosing to cling onto the notion that smoothies and ice-cream remain acceptable. Is ice-cream ever unacceptable?!? Certainly not this one; marzipan soft-serve, complete with chocolate brownie bites. Its a simple, yet delightfully sophisticated treat that should do nicely to make up for my month of absence. 



This ice-cream utilises the famous frozen banana trick in combination with rich almond butter to achieve its smooth and creamy texture - with the incorporation of almond and vanilla flavours, it really does taste a lot like marzipan! The brownie bits, flavoursome and chewy, add a bit of bite in amongst the soft sweetness and take this desert to another level of deliciousness. Almond lovers in particular must try it!

Marzipan Ice-Cream (With Raw Brownie Bites)

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 20-30 mins
Ingredients (1 serving)
    For Brownies
    • 1 Medjool date
    • 4 almonds
    • 1 ½ tsp rolled oats
    • ½ tsp cocoa powder
    For Soft-Serve
    • 1 frozen banana (100g)
    • ½ tbsp almond butter
    • ½ tsp vanilla
    • ¼ tsp almond extract (or more, to taste.)
    Instructions
    1. Blend brownie ingredients with a little water, until mixture starts to clump up. Scoop out and form into little balls/bites - whatever size you like. I think I made around 9 big the first time around and closer to 20 small the second - I prefer the latter! Shove these in the freezer while you make the ice-cream.
    2. Blend soft-serve ingredients with a little milk until smooth.
    3. Add bites to the ice-cream. Serve immediately, or leave in the freezer for about an hour for a firmer texture.
    Powered by Recipage

    6 comments:

    1. This looks delicious! Mmmm frozen bananas ‘ice icream’ is the best

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! Yes, and so versatile too! :)

        Delete
    2. This looks so delicious!! I love banana 'ice cream' and combining it with almonds for marzipan flavor is genius. Have to try!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Let me know how it goes if you do!

        Delete
    3. Ice cream is ALWAYS acceptable and this one is perfect for this season as it's got marzipan in it :P That's the taste of Christmas right?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oooh yes! Time to start hunting down the stollen bread methinks. And the gingerbread also:D

        Delete