Friday, 4 July 2014

Sweet Potato Mash




I've probably not mentioned this on the blog yet, but I have quite severe tendonitis. As a guitarist that's a bit of a nightmare - I have to carefully limit my practice time, especially when learning new complicated or fast picking patterns. Failure to do so results with me going around with an ice pack strapped to my arm feeling sorry for myself, almost unable to use the injured limb at all.

To allow my arm to rest and recover, I've been favouring lazy cooking, but not compromising on flavour. I've been making a lot of toasties, smoothies, and roasted vegetables. The oven is the best friend of the injured, as is the hand blender.

Today I bring you a recipe utilising both - this sweet potato mash is the easiest and the best I've ever had. I normally hesitate to call anything the "best," but honestly, this really is - creamy, filling, and with a perfect mix of savoury-sweet flavour, it'll go happily with basically anything else you're eating. I love it with veggie burgers or sausages and paired with other roasted veg.

My testers all loved it, with one describing it as "almost dessert-like," - and indeed, with a little tweaking, I think this would make a fantastic base for a pudding too!


Sweet Potato Mash

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 40 mins
Ingredients (Serves 3 as a side)
  • 3 small sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened soya)
  • 2 tbsp butter-type spread
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C. Poke holes in the potatoes with a fork and roast in the oven for about half an hour, until soft.
2. Peel potatoes and combine with other ingredients in a blender. Adjust seasonings to taste, and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage


What's your favourite"lazy" meal?


4 comments:

  1. I looooove sweet potatoes, and they look absolutely diving mashed up. Nutmeg is basically my absolute favorite thing ever, so I love that you threw some in there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not 100% sure about nutmeg myself - sometimes it just seems too powerful a flavour! But I love it paired with sweet potato:D

      Delete
  2. I love sweet potatoes, but the mashed version is so tasty! I haven't tried nutmeg in mashed versions before, would love to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's honestly a mouthwatering combination, so good:D

      Delete