Thursday, 24 July 2014

PB&J Ice Cream



What do you think of unusual ice-cream flavours? In my pre-vegan days, I used to always be tempted by the various flavours on offer, annoy the shop assistant by agonising over the decision, and in the end always choose the same flavour: mint choc-chip.

I never regretted it, either, even if I enjoyed the other flavours whilst sampling them - for me, mint choc-chip will always be the absolute best flavour of ice-cream. Since going vegan, however, the variety of shop-bought ice cream has become more limited, and stalls selling actual vegan ice-cream (as opposed to sorbet) tend to veer on the side of weird and wacky flavours. I've yet to go to the famous Boho Gelato in Brighton, but by the sounds of it they put everything in their ice-cream from chilli to dragonfruit. Odds are I wouldn't find any mint choc-chip there.



And if you're making ice-cream yourself, of course, there's absolutely no restriction as to the potential flavours on offer. I decided to take the ever-popular sandwich and whizz it into ice-cream. I think its delicious this way - my tester was at first unsure, but then eagerly finished her scoop and demanded more.

This flavour is definitely unusual, but if you like PB in everything, or are braver with ice-cream flavours than I used to be, give this one a shot!


PB&J Ice-Cream

by Shonalika Tilak
Ingredients (Serves 2)
  • 1 ½ frozen bananas
  • 1-2 tbsp peanut butter
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ cup frozen grapes
  • 1 tbsp avocado (This is to make it creamier and can be omitted if desired)
  • Non-dairy milk, just enough to blend (I used coconut)
  • Pinch salt
Instructions
1. Combine 1 banana, peanut butter, and optional vanilla extract in a blender and blend until smooth, adding milk as required. Sweeten to taste. Set aside.
2. Combine the remaining banana, frozen grapes, avocado, and salt and blend until smooth, adding milk as required. Sweeten to taste.
3. Add one layer to another and gently fold them into each other, just enough so that they mix, but each flavour remains distinct. Serve immediately, or freeze for around an hour for a firmer texture.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. I had and made some sweet curry ice cream (coconut milk based) which was pretty unusual - but I also had a pistachio & fig rice-milk based gelato yesterday (I’m in Torino) which was soooo good! Mmmm frozen grapes sound lovely in the ice cream you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CURRY ice-cream? Wow! That makes PB+J look positively bog-standard by comparison - was it good?:D

      Pistachio is definitely an underrated flavour - pairing it with figs sounds delicious. And frozen grapes are one of the best fruits for smoothies, in my opinion;)

      Delete