Thursday, 5 June 2014

Dark Chocolate Smoothie Bowl



Yep, I've jumped on this bandwagon - as a matter of fact, I'm so firmly lodged on it that breakfast dahl has found itself temporarily homeless. I started off trying a recipe by the Vegan Cookie Fairy one morning. I was curious - I didn't think smoothies would work as a breakfast option for me because I glug my drinks down in five seconds flat (and often regret it afterwards), whereas I like to take time to enjoy and savour my meals. Besides, I like to chew. Anyway, surely a smoothie wouldn't be filling enough?


The smoothie bowl concept proved me happily wrong on all counts. The pieces of fruit  satisfy the "chew" factor, whilst the sheer thickness and volume of the smoothie, (and the fact that its eaten with a spoon,) play the brilliant mental trick of causing me to view it as a "meal," and eat it slowly. Though frankly, Clem's almond butter smoothie was so filling there's no way I'd have been able to glug it down even if I'd a glass big enough to contain it all.

I immediately started trying out other people's recipes and experimenting with my own concoctions. Here's one you may not have seen before; its courgette-based, and contains avocado and banana, but the predominant flavour is chocolate. Dark chocolate. As a matter of fact you can't taste anything else. (Apart from the slices of banana on top, of course, if you fancy doing that - I always do ;)

If you wake up in the morning with the urge to down a bowl of chocolate, chocolate, and nothing but chocolate, this is definitely the recipe for you.

Dark Chocolate Smoothie Bowl (Serves 1)

Ingredients

  • 1 frozen banana (Fresh will work, but it will lose some of the dessert-like quality)
  • 1 courgette/zucchini
  • 1/2 a small Hass avocado (or 50g any avocado) 
  • 1 cup milk of choice (Coconut is best!)
  • 1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla (Optional)
  • 1/4 tsp arrowroot (Optional)
  • Sweetener (Optional, amount will vary dependent on your tastebuds and the ripeness/amount of banana. I found it not to need any.)
  • Pinch salt, if needed

Combine everything in a blender and blend away until smooth and creamy. Sliced banana is great as a topping.

Feel free to add in anything you like - swap the vanilla extract for 1/4 tsp peppermint, add in nut butters, a handful of spinach, or a scoop of your favourite smoothie powder - but do NOT omit the avocado. Otherwise you'll get a gritty texture from the courgette. Which weirdly enough I sometimes like, but not here. xD 


2 comments:

  1. am confused, how does it taste of dark chocolate when there is no chocolate or cocoa powder amongst the ingredients listed. Please help as I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, sorry! How did I manage to leave the most important bit out?? Apologies, it's edited now. You want one big tablespoon of cocoa powder in there at least!:p

      Delete