Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Dahl


Update: The blog now has a Facebook page! Find it here:)



This may sound strange to a lot of people, but I've never had real pumpkin pie! It's not really a "thing" in the UK - I was only aware of it from vague references from American cartoons and tv shows. Then I got into the world of internet food blogs, and found myself recreating the popular desert in various forms; cookies, puddings, and most importantly of all, porridge. I may never have had real pumpkin pie but I've got to say, this porridge is so delicious that I don't feel any particular need to. (My stomach probably wouldn't agree with all that sugar anyway:/) It's very filling, spiced, sweet, and goes well with a whole variety of toppings to suit however you're feeling, or whatever you have to hand.


You can use either sweet potato or squash for this; I tend to find that squash will require more sweetener whilst sweet potato usually doesn't. As for toppings, I used pecans and raisins this time, but my favourite combination is pecans and almonds with chopped dates. Shredded coconut would be lovely too!

Pumpkin Pie Dahl

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 1/4 cup dry red split lentils
  • 1/4 cup water (freshly boiled from a kettle will increase cooking speed)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1 small cooked sweet potato, or equal amount squash/pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp butter-style spread
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp cloves
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • Sweetener, to taste (I use Suma fruit spread - maple syrup would also be good here!)
  • Rasins and pecans, or any other toppings of choice!
Instructions
1. Measure out lentils and rinse very thoroughly. (This can be easily done in the cooking pot itself.)
2. Add water and milk and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and keep partially covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add squash/potato, vanilla, spices and salt. Stir, then sweeten to taste.
4. Throw into a bowl, cover with your favourite toppings and enjoy.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. This looks so fun and delicious! I must try this for breakfast - sometimes one needs a break from smoothies and cereal :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I probably need a break from lentil porridge, I get very habitual about breakfast! :P Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious! I've never had a dessert/sweet Dahl before. Sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a strange concept, but it works:D

      Delete