Sunday, 13 April 2014

Polka-Dot Breakfast Dahl



I was going to call this post banana-split dahl, but then I remembered that's already a thing. Which isn't this.

This is more based off those lollipops I used to love as a kid. Did you ever get them? Banana on one side and chocolate on the other?

They were delicious.

It's a recipe for the indecisive.

(Also, why did the sun have to come out JUST as I'd finished photographing/eating the thing??)


Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup dry red split lentils
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 a banana (45-50g)
  • 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • Extra banana and chocolate chips for topping




Directions:

  1. Measure out lentils and rinse very thoroughly. (This can be easily done in the cooking pot itself.)
  2. Add water and milk and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and keep partially covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Mash banana thoroughly and add to lentils.
  4. Add vanilla extract. (I also added the cinnamon here because I like cinnamon-y chocolate, but add half the amount later if you'd prefer to keep things separate.)
  5. Remove half the porridge and set aside in a bowl for the banana half. (Add cinnamon if you didn't earlier.)
  6. Add the cocoa powder into the pot and stir thoroughly.
  7. Pour the chocolate sludge into the bowl alongside the banana half.
  8. Top with banana, chocolate chips, and milk. Or forego either if you'd like, its also lovely plain.
To reheat from previously made dahl:
  1. Mash banana into dahl along with cinnamon and vanilla. Microwave on full for 1 1/2 mins, remove, stir, and remove half of the dahl.
  2. Stir cocoa power into this half, then spoon back into the bowl alongside banana half.
  3. Microwave for a further 1 minute, then remove, top with bananas, chocolate chips, and milk.

This dahl has a thick, "cake" like texture, which I would recommend sticking with if you want the two halves to remain separate:) 




2 comments:

  1. Almost yin and yang breakfast dal, I'd say. But then again I'm not one to quash anything polkadot and it sounds good either way. Plus, this is the way I eat my oat bran all of the time: one part cocoa, one part plain banana - and all topped with almond butter.
    I'm really intrigued to try your lentil version. One possibly stupid question, though: can I use regular red lentils or are split ones very different? Because I just opened a new bag of lentils and I'm about to move soon so I don't want to buy another bag of anything :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yin and yang, like it. Almond butter, also like it.

      Hm. Is it possible that your lentils ARE red split? They're is the more common variety, and bags of lentils are not always clearly labelled. Check and see which one of these they look most like:p http://www.dspdirect.ca/lentils.php

      If they are whole, I don't *technically* see any reason why it wouldn't be possible, but you'd need to allow a LOT more cooking time (check the directions on the packet and then allow significantly more time than that). I suspect, though, that you'll get a much "lumpier" texture unless you blend the lentils post-cooking - in which case you'd probably get a texture that's too smooth... I can only really vouch for the results if you use red split at the moment, sorry - though I am planning on doing some experiments with other varieties soon;)

      Delete