Polka-Dot Breakfast Dahl
This is more based off those lollipops I used to love as a kid. Did you ever get them? Banana on one side and chocolate on the other?
They were delicious.
It's a recipe for the indecisive.
(Also, why did the sun have to come out JUST as I'd finished photographing/eating the thing??)
- 1/4 cup dry red split lentils
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 a banana (45-50g)
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/16 tsp salt
- Extra banana and chocolate chips for topping
- Measure out lentils and rinse very thoroughly. (This can be easily done in the cooking pot itself.)
- Add water and milk and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and keep partially covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash banana thoroughly and add to lentils.
- Add vanilla extract. (I also added the cinnamon here because I like cinnamon-y chocolate, but add half the amount later if you'd prefer to keep things separate.)
- Remove half the porridge and set aside in a bowl for the banana half. (Add cinnamon if you didn't earlier.)
- Add the cocoa powder into the pot and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the chocolate sludge into the bowl alongside the banana half.
- Top with banana, chocolate chips, and milk. Or forego either if you'd like, its also lovely plain.
To reheat from previously made dahl:
- Mash banana into dahl along with cinnamon and vanilla. Microwave on full for 1 1/2 mins, remove, stir, and remove half of the dahl.
- Stir cocoa power into this half, then spoon back into the bowl alongside banana half.
- Microwave for a further 1 minute, then remove, top with bananas, chocolate chips, and milk.
This dahl has a thick, "cake" like texture, which I would recommend sticking with if you want the two halves to remain separate:)