Tuesday, 15 April 2014

PB&J Breakfast Dahl




If there's one thing I can't stand, its wasting food. And yet I've just been struggling to come up with ways to make sure I don't do that, because my flat is flooded with strawberries.

The stall down the road was selling them off cheaply to get rid of them before they went bad. I said I'd like some strawberries and just got HANDED two punnets instead of one. Its not like I even had a choice in the matter.

I've been dumping them into my breakfast every morning, but even then, for me, excess strawberries pose a problem, because I can't stand the texture of them cooked. Since I only use them as a topping, I use fewer of them than I would with any other berry. That, coupled with the fact that I'm currently living alone and can't count on someone else eating them for me, means I've been pushed to actually make things with the strawberries rather than just eat them whole.

One of those things was this lovely strawberry-chia jam, created by Emma over at Coconut and Berries. (Full recipe here.)

I don't eat jam on a regular basis, so this porridge was a chance novelty. I wasn't even sure I was going to like it - my only memory of PB&J as a child was being given it, once, in a sandwich, by my American aunt. I thought it was disgusting, which is interesting considering the number of people for which its a childhood favourite... I guess its all just to do with what you're used to.

Although the only other times I've tried the combination since then I still didn't like it, I was willing to give it a second try as breakfast dahl - and I'm glad I did! This recipe is a delightful mix of nutty and fruity-sweet.



It's probably a good thing I don't often have uses for jam, because I ate more than double the amount pictured.




PB&J Breakfast Dahl

by Shonalika Tilak
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 1/4 cup dry red split lentils
  • 1/4 cup water (freshly boiled from a kettle will increase cooking speed)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 banana (45-50g)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tsbp peanut butter
  • Jam of choice (I made mine using the recipe linked above, but any jam will do)
Instructions
1. Measure out lentils and rinse very thoroughly. (This can be easily done in the cooking pot itself.)
2. Add water and milk and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and keep partially covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Mash banana thoroughly and add to lentils.
4. Add salt and vanilla.
5. Add peanut butter in small globs, or stir in fully.
6. Transfer to a bowl, swirl in jam, and add any additional toppings.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. This looks so darn yummy! Love the idea of using red lentils instead of oats.
    Glad you enjoyed the jam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, and the recipe! This blog is going to be mostly about using lentils/other pulses in slightly unorthodox ways - who knows, I might do the odd traditional recipe too. Your jam has got me completely addicted to the whole PB&J combination. (The smiley face above was actually yesterday's lunch!) I shall miss it once its gone.

      Delete
  2. omg I LOVE this idea!!!! SO COOL

    ReplyDelete