Thursday, 24 April 2014

Neapolitan Breakfast Dahl





I can't wait for summer. Seriously, no more stupid essays, no more deadlines, just music and fun. And weather warm enough to eat ice-cream in, that would be nice too. Not that its been cold recently, in fact its been lovely, but still not ice-cream weather, not for me anyway. I have to be BOILING in order to want ice-cream. Sometimes I burst into the flat after walking up the hill like "I NEED something cold!" then five seconds later after I've taken my shoes off the craving's gone.

Ah well. Nothing to say I can't recreate ice-cream flavours even if I can't/won't recreate their coldness. This one seems to have been going around a lot lately.

I tried two versions of this, one with banana, one with liquid sweetener. It's true that you can definitely taste the banana, but it's not overpowering, and I definitely prefer it - but both versions are nice! Another alternative would be to do "overnight lentils", adding a pureed date into the cooked lentils and leaving it to sit overnight before adding other ingredients. I've used this method to sweeten other banana-less dahls before and think it would work really well. If anyone tries this, let me know!


Neapolitan Breakfast Dahl

by Shonalika Tilak

Cook Time: 15-20mins

Ingredients (1 serving)

  • 1/4 cup dry red split lentils
  • 1/4 cup water (freshly boiled from a kettle will increase cooking speed)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 banana (45-50g) (Optional, can replace with sweetener of choice)
  • 2-3 strawberries (50g)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/16 tsp salt

Instructions

1. Measure out lentils and rinse very thoroughly. (This can be easily done in the cooking pot itself.)

2. Add water and milk and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and keep partially covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. While lentils are cooking, puree strawberries. (If using an immersion blender, it helps to chop them up a bit first.)

4. Mash banana thoroughly and add to lentils.

5. Add salt and vanilla.

6. Get out a bowl and transfer 1/3 dahl into it. Stir your cocoa powder into this.

7. Get out another bowl and transfer 1/3 dahl into it. Stir your strawberry puree into this one.

8. Add a little extra vanilla to the third remaining in the pot.

9. Layer up all fancy like, or just splatter the whole lot into a bowl alongside one another, along with any additional toppings (eg. peanut butter, nuts, coconut). Enjoy.

Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. This looks very interesting - it's never even occurred to me that lentils could be in a fruity/sweet(ish) dish before. Will have to try sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't occur to me for a long while either - now its a daily staple!:D Thanks Let me know how it goes if you do:)

      Delete