Saturday, 19 April 2014

Honey Nut Dahl with Apples




I made this recipe, then realised it wasn't vegan. I proceeded to sit on it for a few days, occasionally pondering the issue in-between worrying about college assignments. I was rather poignantly reminded about it yesterday when a bee flew into my high-ceilinged flat, causing me to watch it, waiting for it to get tired enough to settle down somewhere, before I could pounce on it and put it on the windowsill. It looked as if it might be too tired to fly, as I watched it from behind the glass, but after a few moments of appearing to come back to life it lifted its wings, was easily caught up by the light summer breeze, and carried on its way.


And I got back to writing my post. I got a little too into it, in fact, and ended up with a short article explaining my personal views on honey. If you're interested, you can read it here.      

May I suggest, if you make this recipe, that you use locally sourced honey from a trusted apiary - or use it as an opportunity to try out some honey alternatives? Aside from agave or maple, there are other sweeteners available specifically designed to mimic honey - and I'd love to hear from people who have tried them, as I've yet to do so myself.


Honey Nut Dahl with Apples

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 1/4 cup dry red split lentils
  • 1/4 cup water (freshly boiled from a kettle will increase cooking speed)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 apple
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tsbp peanut butter
  • Honey/vegan alternative
Instructions
1. Measure out lentils and rinse very thoroughly. (This can be easily done in the cooking pot itself.)
2. Add water and milk and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and keep partially covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add salt and vanilla.
5. Dice apple and add. (I prefer it just "warmed," as opposed to properly cooked - if you prefer softer apple, add earlier.)
6. Drop in your peanut butter in globs, or stir in.
7. Transfer to a bowl, top with honey/vegan alternative and enjoy.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment